“If not us, who? If not now, when?” – a quote often attributed to RFK or JFK but perhaps actually originally going all the way back to Hillel the Elder.
The initials of “Reclaiming our American Democracy” form the acronym “ROAD”- and symbolizes what it is “We the people…” need to do- which is to get on that allegorical road, or path with heart might be a better metaphor, that gets us to a place where the collective and necessary “Great Work” (borrowing from the title of Thomas Berry’s masterpiece) that needs to be done in the “real world” can be more coherently undertaken. What stands in our way are the “political and economic realities” that current “business and politics as usual” that dictate that these very debilitating and limiting realities are the best we can hope for and that we are already living in the best of all possible worlds thanks to the Ayn Randian “great men” who we owe our deep and eternal gratitude to.
So, https://reclaimingouramericandemocracy.wordpress.com/ is a response to such foolish drivel. It makes an unapologetic “Call to the Politically Wild at Heart”, to the vast majority of the citizens of the United States, that “We the people…” should join in common cause to organize and then work toward realizing an ongoing and much needed reclaiming, restoring, re-establishing, and re-inventing etc. etc.- of our American Democracy. All of these and other similar “Re” terms fit and describe what is needed: A major citizens movement to thoroughly re-invigorate our Democracy on all levels: Social, Economic, Political, and Cultural.
There are all kinds of reasons to make this call for fundamental changes in the way “business and politics” operate in this country- not to mention in whose interests they do or do not operate. So let’s have at it: a revival of civic engagement, grassroots Democratic activism, good old fashioned American idealism, and lets not forget… yankee ingenuity, know how, and can do spirit.
Some of the basic and key points to what is being called for here are:
- This “Pro ‘Big D’ Democracy in America” advocacy Blog will be an ongoing log of what I have found and continue to come across, stumble into- and most importantly- what I actually start to do and build toward in that direction.
- A lot of it will just entail me trying to coherently organize all my old writing, files, saved links, and other material I have horded or created over the years with this “Pro Democracy in America” entity in mind. It will include many links to books, Web Sites, writers, articles, and people in general that have influenced and inspired my thinking as it has evolved to this point.
- I’m making this “Call to the Politically Wild at Heart” to my fellow American citizens that proposes that “We the people…” organize together to take back, re-assert, re-invigorate, and re-imagine the very Democracy that we often largely take for granted but that is and has been at risk all along, ever since its founding back during the original Revolutionary Days.
- However, the current situation we are in as a citizenry finds the condition of our Democracy in perhaps the most grave peril as it’s been in any of our lifetimes.
- Because of that, what I call for is nothing short of a Second American Revolution, but with some notable differences from the first- with the most important difference being that I call for this Second American Revolution to be carried out peacefully, non violently, and through the Democratic institutions, traditions, and processes that are indeed still available to us, the American citizenry.
- This effort is an organic “Work in Progress” and will probably be a little rough around the edges at first.