How to transition to doing "my work" and not just wondering what to do…
One thought is to just plumb all the sites, writers, organizations, current progressive politicians, OWS peeps, radical progressive musicians and other miscellaneous celeb types of such ilk, and just start making the call, doing the initial communicating and advocacy directly with them (and whatever friends and former personal connections from forever ago that it seems appropriate to make the effort with as well).
And then, while doing that, build the Blog presence, Web Site, Tweeting and Facebook componants to promote and create efficiency in continuing the ongoing effort. That’s it. Pretty simple. Just start doing it.
What follows are some culled comments on Paul Krugman’a Essay http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/13/opinion/krugman-severe-conservative-syndrome.html?_r=1&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss#commentsContainer which was excellent. HIs Commenters seem like a good group to begin the experiment with- and for me to develop my approach by starting to contact and attempt to communicate with.
So here is the culled material…
Wednesday, February 08, 2012, 11:16 AM.
Setting up Chapters of the EPGTDS movement in all Congressional Districts should be a primary initial goal. A Chapter’s goals should be to:
· Do adequate local fundraising to sustain the initial living wage jobs to carry out the work of setting up and maintaining the Chapter. The point of this orgainization is not to become another citizen lobbying presence trying to spend resources in an attempt to compete with the huge mainstream money lobby of K street and all the state capital and lesser jurisdiction lobbying that goes on constantly… RATHER… the purposes of the individual chapters would be:
o Again- fundraise and entreprenerially raise through any and all legal means available money to sustain chapter operations.
Well, Libby… the list of barriers to me showing up and producing is shrinking all the time but tis still enough to trip up old T-Bone. Yeah old T-Bone. Let’s brainstorm the genuine list, Crot style, shall we?
· So many of the happy shiney people who are more or less progressive and enlightened leaning, a little left let’s say, are still these high achieving upper middle class or better very upper echelon elite grad school types who may have some real friends and contact with the victims of the opressor man that the American Imperium Conquistador Cowboy Regime has become- but they mostly don’t see that they are among the high end beneficiaries of that regimes policy and conduct. I mean, they are more or less willing to say that the system just needs a little tweaking, because from their Bay Area or NYC or expat wondrous lives they see so much good work being done. Oh wow man. So let’s not be negative, or cynical, or a depresso for Chrissakes, because there is just so much great work being done. It’s awfully easy for this kind of mentality to just gravitate toward more and more conservative views as time goes by, because people who are doing pretty well just tend to trend that way, all in all. It’s easier to relate to other people who are doing well and look at others, less well off, as responsible for their own problems. Ayn Randian social Darwinist thinking appeals to the ego in lucky peole- like Sonnie Dubya being born on 3rd base and thinking he hit a triple…
· Anyway, the point to that Crot above is that there really is a lot of classist barrier to the necessary kind of and depth to change that is needed for it to be worth working toward… and as much as I do respect the fart (oops, Freudian slip, I meant to say “fact” just then) that there is indeed a lot of good work being done, albeit largely peacemeal and incoherent and certainly not enough to address the larger issues that need addressing and for which I am making my “Call to the Politically Wild at Heart”- which is, despite its absolute commitment to non-violence and change through a re-invigoration of and massive revival of and virtual rising from the near death state of real and meaningful American Democracy- despite those truths and realities I am indeed proposing a highly radical change in the path we are all on to our collective futures…
· So put it this way: I am calling for the most radical revolution in the history of revolutions because it has got to be peaceful. As MLK said, those of us who love peace have got to organize as well as those who love war. Those of us who love the ideal and ideas of equal opportunity structure and access to the possibility of meaningful work and self actualized lives- we have to organize even more efficiently that those that are the kneepad Torie loyalist operatives of the upper 1% who are subverting the rest of our Democratic and related possibilities… because they got way more money and wield even more of a proportion of the wieldable capital- in all related sectors: media, political spending, super Pac aggregation, think tank funding, polling funding, advertisement, book publishing, hiring clout… come on man.
First off: the place to start is this woman who wrote this book: Tweeting For Good.
Tell her, a perfect stranger and obvious high level high achieving person what you have in mind, communicate a little bit about yourself as you start this process, and see how or if she responds. Make this book the starting point and then get into all the content you want to blog in the current tense as you also develop the organization that you are proposings Web Site, or Blog at first, or whatever. Once you have a current blog or Web Site presence and you are also beginning to Tweet your intentions, purpose, agenda, and the whole nine yards, to quote Uncle Tommy, it all becomes a matter of constant ongoing communications with everyone you come across that it seems appropriate to make contact with.
And then, as you are actually starting to do this- with strangers initially, you can decide who among people you have actually known personally in your life you would like to do let know what you are up to with this “work”, so they know what I am up to and can get involved or offer input if they care to.
There is, after all, a personal and political or public aspect to what I am doing and why, so… get after it, roy. I said boy. What did you call me???
So, and, again…
There is so much on the web. Everything is covered, and covered well. Yet the shift to the right, the neocona and fundamentalist lunacy, the Citizens United enabled super pac money behind so much of the obstructionist protectionist extremism in deference to the supreme wealth, their lackeys and minions, and the fascist structures they operate through eg. global trans-sovereign corporations and the governments they control, the oligarchic over reach in pretty much every sector of the economy, and the political oligarchy in America that is the dysfunctional (but serving quite nicely the needs of the Democracy funders and their media beneficiaries) two party system…
I have to transcend just finding great stuff or stuff that seems better or clearer than what I write or think and start communicating witht thems I find and putting my good stuff out to be seen and considered. Here are some good things found on the alternet site…
Again, so much is already out there. Need to find my way, voice, path, niche, and revenue stream to support my ongoing efforts without the distraction of having to earn money some other way. At least I only have to replace 10 large.
A Sara Robinson article:
Tuesday, February 14, 2012, 8:35 AM. Valentimes Day…
Barry Goldwater, Congressional Record, 16 Sept. 1981:
"There is no position on which people are so immovable as their religious beliefs. There is no more powerfull ally one can claim in a debate than Jesus, God, or Allah, or whatever one calls the supreme being. But like any powerful weapon, the use of God’s name on one’s behalf should be used sparingly. The religious factions that are growing throughout our land are not using their religious clout with wisdom. They are trying to force government leaders into following their position 100 percent. If you disagree with these religious groups on a particular moral issue, they complain, they threaten you with a loss of money or votes or both. I’m frankly sick and tired of the political preachers across this country telling me as a citizen that if I want to be a moral person, I must believe in A,B,C, and D. Just who do they think they are? And from where do they presume to claim the right to dictate their moral beliefs to me? And I am even more angry as a legislator who must endure the threats of every religious group who thinks it has some God-granted right to control my vote on every roll call in the Senate. I am warning them today: I will fight them every step of the way if they try to dictate their moral convictions to all Americans in the name of conservatism."
It can almost be a manifesto for the Republican Party. A plutocracy aligned to a theocracy, to destroy democracy.
The modern conservative formula has proven to be a winning one so one can’t fault conservatives for using it. An election is a popularity contest, not a competency contest.
Even a candidate with a severely conservative intellect can typically memorize the procedure that solves all problems, cures all ills and guarantees re-election.
To solve any problem, follow this procedure:
1. Cut taxes.
2. If the problem remains, privatize.
3. If the problem remains, deregulate.
4. If the problem remains, start a war.
5. If the problem remains, pray harder.
6. If the problem remains, blame it on liberalism.
7. Get re-elected and go back to step 1.
Having won the House — overwhelmingly — in 2010, the Republican revanchists basically control our government. They have transformed our judiciary. At the same time, they have yanked our dimwitted mainstream media so far to the right that the national punditry treats seriously a party that doesn’t believe in evolution. The fact that Republican orthodoxy is insane probably won’t prevent voters from turning over the Senate this year, and possibly the Presidency. So I’m not sure where the party has created problems for itself. The Republican elite, the wealthiest and most cynical people on earth, is prospering.
o Indeed, the Republican party has become an unholy alliance of the immoral rich and the racist. The former use their wealth to race bait in the media in order to incite the latter. It is a toxic mixture reminiscent of the right wing movements of the 30s.
. Jim DeMint’s comment makes it clear:
”Our goal is a complete gridlock for the next two years. There is no place for bi-partisanship, compromise, only acceptable outcome is total victory and any politician that disagrees will be treated as a traitor. This is war."
another unfunded republican war …
The Republican party made a major tactical error in not slapping down the tea party Republicans after the 2010 election cycle. In fact, the tea party effort was nurtured by politicians, especially former House majority leader Dick Armey of Texas. It is safe to say that they thought they could harness the boiling anger of older, grass roots voters who didn’t understand much about the financial crisis that hit full force in 2008, but hated every part they saw. Instead, the beast Armey, the Koch brothers and Karl Rove helped give birth to has now turned on them in the form as a chorus line of unqualified candidates that embarrasses themselves regularly, on cue.